Cumberland County Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Event
Cumberland County Holds Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Events
County Residents, Businesses Can Choose One of Four Dates, Pre-registration Required, 50 Cent Per Pound Fee
Carlisle, PA – Cumberland County is hosting four Household Hazardous Waste Disposal events this year that are available to county residents and small businesses. All participants must pre-register online for a specific time and date. Participants will drop off household hazardous waste at the county recycling center, at 1001Claremont Road, Carlisle.
- Thursday, April 14, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, June 4, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturday, August 6, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thursday, October 27, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
By pre-registering for a specific date and time, residents will encounter less congestion at the recycling center and improved traffic flow. Appointments can be made in 15-minute intervals, and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
All acceptable waste will be weighed as is, and customers will be charged 50 cents per pound for disposal. Cash is preferred; however, customers will incur a convenience fee for the use of credit and debit cards.
The program costs the county about $1 per pound to operate. State funds offset some of the cost enabling the county to keep the fee lower for participants.
Acceptable household hazardous waste includes:
- Adhesives, glues, epoxies, caulking and sealants
- Antifreeze and car care products
- Automotive batteries
- Driveway sealers
- Drain cleaners, degreasers, and oven cleaners
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent light tubes and bulbs
- Gasoline, diesel fuel and kerosene
- Hydrochloric, sulfuric, and other acids
- Latex (water-based) paint and paint-related products
- Lubricating sprays
- Mercury and mercury-containing devices
- Motor oil
- Oil-based paints, stains, varnishes, and sealers
- Oil-based paint cleaners, thinners. and removers
- Pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, and fertilizers
- Pool chemicals
- Propane cylinders (up to 20 pounds)
The maximum accepted container size is five gallons.
The program is open only to Cumberland County residents and small businesses. As part of pre registration, businesses also must complete a Small Business Registration Form. Businesses are limited to 2,200 pounds of waste.
Last year, the county collected nearly 75 tons of household hazardous waste from more than 1300 residents and businesses. Since its inception in 1998, the program has safely disposed of more than 590 tons of waste.
Appointments can be made online or by calling the county’s recycling and waste department at 717.240.6489 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
This year’s program is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Departments of Environmental Protection and Agriculture. More information is available on the recycling and waste department website or by calling 717.240.6489.
20 Market Street
Wormleysburg, PA 17043